SIR ANDRÁS SCHIFF, ROBERT HOLL

Buy tickets
January 1970
Mo
Tu
We
Th
Fr
Sa
Su

Program and cast

INTERPRETERS
Anja Mittermüller
Mezzo-soprano

Jan Petryka
tenor

Angelo Pollak
tenor

Johannes Bamberger
tenor

David Jagodic
tenor

Clemens Koelbl
baritone

Georg Klimbacher
baritone

Martin Summer
bass

Robert Holl
bass

Hariolf Schlichtig
viola

Yuuko Shiokawa
viola

Zsolt Fejérvári
double bass

Rafael Rosenfeld
violoncello

Xenia Jankovic
violoncello

Sir András ship
piano

PROGRAM
Franz Schubert

Song of the spirits over the waters, D 714
Limits of Humanity, D 716
In the present past, D 710
The youth and death, D 545
Moonshine, D 875
The blind boy, D 833
Serenade, D 920

- Break -

Franz Schubert

The nightingale, D 724
The gondola driver, D 809
The youth on the hill, D 702
Grave digger's homesickness, D 842
Night light, D 892
Good night, D 903
Song of the spirits over the waters, D 714
End approx .: 22:00

Musikverein

This building is located on Dumbastraße/Bösendorferstraße behind the Hotel Imperial near the Ringstraße boulevard and the Wien River, between Bösendorferstraße and Karlsplatz. However, since Bösendorferstraße is a relatively small street, the building is better known as being between Karlsplatz and Kärntner Ring (part of Ringstraße loop). It was erected as the new concert hall run by the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde, on a piece of land provided by Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria in 1863. The plans were designed by Danish architect Theophil Hansen in the Neoclassical style of an ancient Greek temple, including a concert hall as well as a smaller chamber music hall. The building was inaugurated on 6 January, 1870. A major donor was Nikolaus Dumba whose name the Austrian government gave to one of the streets surrounding the Musikverein.
 

Great Hall - Golden Hall

“As high as any expectations could be, they would still be exceeded by the first impression of the hall which displays an architectural beauty and a stylish splendour making it the only one of its kind.” This was the reaction of the press to the opening of the new Musikverein building and the first concert in the Großer Musikvereinssaal on 6 January 1870.

The impression must have been overwhelming – so overwhelming that Vienna’s leading critic, Eduard Hanslick, irritatingly brought up the question of whether this Großer Musikvereinssaal “was not too sparkling and magnificent for a concert hall”. “From all sides spring gold and colours.”

 

 

 

 

 

Brahms Hall

"In order not to promise too much it can be said that it has been made into the most beautiful, most magnificent, perfect example of a chamber concert hall that any of us knows in the world.” This was the reaction of a Vienna daily newspaper in October 1993 as the Brahms-Saal was presented to the public after extensive renovation work.

The surprise was perfect. It was a completely new hall. In contrast to the Grosse Musikvereinssaal, the Brahms-Saal had changed its appearance quite considerably over the years. When and how it acquired that slightly melancholy duskiness that was known to music lovers before 1993 cannot be precisely documented.

 

 

 

Glass Hall

As a venue for events from concerts to luxury banquets, the Glass Hall / Magna Auditorium is not only the largest of the Musikverein's 4 new halls but also the most flexible in terms of usage.

Hub podiums enable the smooth transformation of the concert hall into a conference centre, the cinema into a ballroom, or the stage into a catwalk. State-of-the-art equipment for sound, lighting, video and widescreen digital projection provide the ideal conditions for half-scenic productions.
The Glass Hall / Magna Auditorium was designed by the Viennese architect Wilhelm Holzbauer. With a height of 8 metres, the hall (including the gallery) can play host to up to 380 visitors.

Related events