Parsifal

The King of the Grail Amfortas had moved to the fight against Klingsor. This had applied for admission to the Gralsgemeinschaft and it even emasculated in order to satisfy other things, strict chastity. But the knights pushed him back, now he meditates on their Destruction. Kundry, who had once mocked Jesus on the cross and since then wanders restlessly through the ages deceived them in order Klingsor the advancing Amfortas. It tore him Klinsor the holy spear with which Jesus was pierced on the cross and with the cup from which he had been drinking at the Last Supper, the Gralsheiligtum forms. This Klingsor Amfortas Speer said a painful wound that can only be just that spear also healed. But this would have to back it is only in the possession of the Grail Knights. But this can only "knowing through compassion" perform a "pure fool".


Parsifal appears in Gralsgebiet. There can penetrate only who is appointed to serve on the Grail. Therefore leads Gurnemanz, the companion in arms of the first King of the Grail Titurel, the young man his mother escaped to the Grail Castle. He believed in it the promise of "pure fool". Parsifal seen how the suffering Amfortas tried to resist the unveiling of the Grail, as this not only win the Grail Knights, but he himself new life force. But he wants to die. But Amfortas must submit and reveal the Grail. Parsifal remains silent, so it Gurnemanz wegjagt angry. Parsifal arrives in Klingsor's kingdom. The seduction of the flower girls, he resists. First Kundry, Klingsor of forced can, bind him to. But when she kisses him, he suddenly realizes what happened to Amfortas and rejects them. He has become aware through compassion. Klingsor as the holy spear throwing at him, he takes them, can go under Klingsor's kingdom and Kundry promises salvation. After arduous long journey reached the Gralsgebiet Parsifal on Good Friday and met Gurnemanz. Kundry is also present, which receives the baptism of Parsifal. In the Grail Parsifal heals Amfortas' wound and becomes the new King of the Grail.

Program and cast

Buy tickets
PreviousOctober 2020
Mo
Tu
We
Th
Fr
Sa
Su
Photo gallery

Vienna State Opera

Public Transport
 

Subway lines: U1, U2, U4
Trams: 1, 2, D, J, 62, 65
Buses: 59A
Local Railway: Badner Bahn
Stops: Karlsplatz / Opera

Taxi stands are available nearby.
 

Parking



Parking is only € 6, - for eight hours!

The Wiener Staatsoper and the ÖPARK Kärntner Ring Garage on Mahlerstraße 8, under the “Ringstraßengalerien”, offer the patrons of the Vienna State Opera a new, reduced parking fee. You can park in the Kärntner Ring Garage for up to 8 hours and pay only a flat fee of € 6, -. Just validate your ticket at one of the discount machines inside the Wiener Staatsoper. The normal rate will be charged for parking time greater than 8 hours. The validation machines can be found at the following coat checks: Operngasse, Herbert von Karajan-Platz, and the right and left and balcony galleries.

Important: In order to get the discount, please draw a ticket and do not use your credit card when entering the garage!

After devaluing your ticket in the Wiener Staatsoper you can pay comfortably by credit card or cash at the vending machines.

The machines accept coins and bills up to 50.- Euro. Parking time longer than 8 hours will be charged at the normal rate.
 

History



The structure of the opera house was planned by the Viennese architect August Sicard von Sicardsburg, while the inside was designed by interior decorator Eduard van der Nüll. It was also impacted by other major artists such as Moritz von Schwind, who painted the frescoes in the foyer, and the famous "Zauberflöten" (“Magic Flute”) series of frescoes on the veranda. Neither of the architects survived to see the opening of ‘their’ opera house: the sensitive van der Nüll committed suicide, and his friend Sicardsburg died of a stroke soon afterwards.

 

On May 25, 1869, the opera house solemnly opened with Mozart's Don Giovanni in the presence of Emperor Franz Joseph and Empress Elisabeth.
The popularity of the building grew under the artistic influence of the first directors: Franz von Dingelstedt, Johann Herbeck, Franz Jauner, and Wilhelm Jahn. The Vienna opera experienced its first high point under the direction of Gustav Mahler. He completely transformed the outdated performance system, increased the precision and timing of the performances, and also utilized the experience of other noteworthy artists, such as Alfred Roller, for the formation of new stage aesthetics.

 

The years 1938 to 1945 were a dark chapter in the history of the opera house. Under the Nazis, many members of the house were driven out, pursued, and killed, and many works were not allowed to be played.

 

On March 12, 1945, the opera house was devastated during a bombing, but on May 1, 1945, the “State Opera in the Volksoper” opened with a performance of Mozart's THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO. On October 6, 1945, the hastily restored “Theaters an der Wien” reopened with Beethoven's FIDELIO. For the next ten years the Vienna State Opera operated in two venues while the true headquarters was being rebuilt at a great expense.

 

The Secretary of State for Public Works, Julius Raab, announced on May 24, 1945, that reconstruction of the Vienna State Opera would begin immediately. Only the main facade, the grand staircase, and the Schwind Foyer had been spared from the bombs. On November 5, 1955, the Vienna State Opera reopened with a new auditorium and modernized technology. Under the direction of Karl Böhm, Beethoven’s FIDELIO was brilliantly performed, and the opening ceremonies were broadcast by Austrian television. The whole world understood that life was beginning again for this country that had just regained its independence.

 

Today, the Vienna State Opera is considered one of the most important opera houses in the world; in particular, it is the house with the largest repertoire. It has been under the direction of Dominique Meyer since September 1, 2010.

© Bwag/Commons
©
Related events