The Huguenots

Buy tickets
PreviousOctober 2020

A grand opéra in five acts
Libretto by Eugène Scribe and Émile Deschamps
World premiere: 29th February 1836 at the Opéra de Paris
Premiere (revised version, based on the history of the opera’s development) at the Deutsche Oper Berlin: 13th November 2016

Recommended from 16 years on

In French language with German and English surtitels

5 hrs / 2 intervals

Program and cast

Conductor: Alexander Vedernikov

Stage Director: David Alden

Set Design: Giles Cadle

Costume Design: Constance Hoffman

Light Design: Adam Silverman

Choreographer: Marcel Leemann

Chorus Master: Jeremy Bines

Marguerite de Valois: Liv Redpath

Le Comte de Saint-Bris: Seth Carico

Le Comte de Nevers: Philipp Jekal

Valentine: Olesya Golovneva

Urbain: Irene Roberts

Tavannes / 1st. monk: Paul Kaufmann

Cossé: Jörg Schörner

Méru: Padraic Rowan

Thoré / Maurevert: Alexei Botnarciuc

de Retz: Stephen Bronk

Raoul de Nangis: Yosep Kang

Marcel: Andrew Harris

Bois-Rosé: Robert Watson

Un archer du guet: Timothy Newton

Coryphée: Jacquelyn Stucker

Maid-of-Honor: Karis Tucker

2nd monk: Matthew Cossack

Chorus: Chor der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Orchestra: Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Ballet: Opernballett der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Deutsche Oper Berlin

The Deutsche Oper Berlin is an opera company located in the Charlottenburg district of Berlin, Germany. The resident building is the country's second largest opera house and also home to the Berlin State Ballet.

The company's history goes back to the Deutsches Opernhaus built by the then independent city of Charlottenburg—the "richest town of Prussia"—according to plans designed by Heinrich Seeling from 1911. It opened on November 7, 1912 with a performance of Beethoven's Fidelio, conducted by Ignatz Waghalter. After the incorporation of Charlottenburg by the 1920 Greater Berlin Act, the name of the resident building was changed to Städtische Oper (Municipal Opera) in 1925.

Deutsches Opernhaus, 1912
With the Nazi Machtergreifung in 1933, the opera was under control of the Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda. Minister Joseph Goebbels had the name changed back to Deutsches Opernhaus, competing with the Berlin State Opera in Mitte controlled by his rival, the Prussian minister-president Hermann Göring. In 1935, the building was remodeled by Paul Baumgarten and the seating reduced from 2300 to 2098. Carl Ebert, the pre-World War II general manager, chose to emigrate from Germany rather than endorse the Nazi view of music, and went on to co-found the Glyndebourne opera festival in England. He was replaced by Max von Schillings, who acceded to enact works of "unalloyed German character". Several artists, like the conductor Fritz Stiedry or the singer Alexander Kipnis followed Ebert into emigration. The opera house was destroyed by a RAF air raid on 23 November 1943. Performances continued at the Admiralspalast in Mitte until 1945. Ebert returned as general manager after the war.

After the war, the company in what was now West Berlin used the nearby building of the Theater des Westens until the opera house was rebuilt. The sober design by Fritz Bornemann was completed on 24 September 1961. The opening production was Mozart's Don Giovanni. The new building opened with the current name.

© Günter Karl Bose
© Bettina Stöß
© Bettina Stöß
© Bettina Stöß
Related events