The Bat

Program and cast

Johann Strauß
(in German with subtitles in several languages)


Duration
2 hours


Recording
DECCA London Wiener Philharmoniker


Conductor
Clemens Krauss


Performers
Hilde Güden, Wilma Lipp, Julius Patzak, Anton Dermota, Sieglinde Wagner, Alfred Poell, Kurt Preger …


Direction
Adi Fischer


Scenography
Günther Schneider-Siemssen


Costumes
Friedl Aicher

Buy tickets
December 2019
Mo
Tu
We
Th
Fr
Sa
Su

Salzburg Marionette Theatre

In 1893, the old-established Kaltenhausen brewery built "a restaurant and function-rooms" in the Schwarzstrasse, between the Lasser Villa (now the Mozarteum) and the theatre. The architect was Carl Demel, the master builder Valentin Ceconi. In 1897 these function-rooms were converted to the Mirabell Hotel. After World War II the Mirabell Casino was the principal tenant until 1968. Conversion work began in 1970, in order to give the Marionette Theatre a new playhouse. The former dining-room of the Mirabell Hotel was converted into an auditorium with a stage, and its rich decoration of stucco and frescoes is still impressive. There was similar stucco-work, though not quite so opulent, in the foyer, but unfortunately in the course of the 1970/71 conversion it was covered by a plasterboard ceiling. The stucco ceiling underneath was forgotten, to be rediscovered in 2000 when repairs were being carried out. In 2003 the foyer was restored to its original condition.

Related events